This homemade Master Tonic recipe is a staple in my home. I try to always have some brewing to make sure I don't run out. It is a strong fermented, natural remedy to combat common colds, infections and antibiotic-resistant infections. It combines many common healing ingredients into one powerful immune boosting tonic. Combining all the benefits of garlic, onion, ginger, horseradish, hot peppers, turmeric and apple cider vinegar. At first you may find the taste very strong, I know I did. But its a taste that grows on you. I actually look forward to it each night before I go to bed.
For general health, and to support your immune system drink 1oz every day. When sick, take a 1oz 2-3 times a day.
Master Tonic also known as Fire Cider is made with ingredients with known beneficial health properties. I have listed the ingredients and their benefits below:
GINGER: Ginger helps to stimulates and eases digestion, alleviate nausea and boost circulation. It eases congestion, is an anti-inflammatory, anti-parasitic and helps fight cold and flu symptoms.
ONION: Assists kidney function, it is an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, antibiotic, and anti-parasitic.
GARLIC: Garlic is an anti-parasitic, anti-bacterial and an anti-fungal. It stimulates metabolism, helps to normalize blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol. It supports healthy gut flora, and assists to eliminate toxins and fight cold and flu symptoms.
HORSERADISH ROOT: Will increases circulation, helps stimulates the lung and colon functions. It is an antibacterial and a source of iron and potassium.
HOT PEPPERS: Hot peppers are anti-parasitic, high in antioxidants. They enhances blood circulation, supports lung and heart functions, stimulates digestion, dispels mucous, and will help to eases congestion.
TURMERIC: Turmeric is an anti-bacterial, it assists digestion, and will helps to support your immune system.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: Is an anti-bacterial and it will help cleanses the digestive tract, will lower blood sugar, and supportive of the gallbladder/liver functions, helps joint function, fights off fatigue, headaches, food poisoning, insomnia.
Homemade Master Tonic Recipe
What you will need:
- - Large Mason Jar with a tight fitting lid
- - Bowl
- - 4 cups (approx) apple cider vinegar
- - ¼ cup finely chopped garlic
- - ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- -¼ cup fresh peppers, the hottest you can find (be careful with the cleaning – wear gloves!!!)
- - ¼ cup grated ginger
- - 2 tbsp grated horseradish
- - 2 tbsp turmeric powder or 2 pieces of turmeric root
- Finely chop all the dry ingredients and combine in the bowl. (A food processor could be used for this step.)
- Fill the large mason jar 2/3 full with the chopped ingredients.
- Pour in the apple cider vinegar and fill the jar to the top.
- Close well and shake. to mix all the ingredients.
- Store the jar in a cool and dry place for 6 weeks. Shake the jar well each day.
- After 6 weeks, strain through a fine mesh strainer.
- Store the Master Tonic in a glass bottle (Preferably of dark glass).
Here is a great instructional video by Rosemary Gladstar, a leader in the world of herbalism and the founder of the California School of Herbal Studies (the oldest running school of herbal studies in the United States).